Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 08:31:01 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MIT wireless energy transfer etc.

    Perhaps this question might be closer to 'on topic'.  One of the
features of this demonstration was the use of "self-resonant" coils and
another was speculation as to why their measured Q was less than
expected, with a suggestion that further research was needed in that
respect.  My personal thought would be that capacity loaded coils would
have less loss [higher Q].  I'm not about to spend the money to copy
their coil but their measured Q seems to be in line with what I would
expect.  Also in working with smaller antenna loading coils [perhaps 6"
x 6" maximum size] I've never seen much difference between bare coils
which had been sitting around until thoroughly oxidized and the same
coils wound with enamel wire which presumably were shiny clean copper.

    Anyone have any thoughts here?

Ed