Re: spark gap configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:53:52 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: spark gap configuration (fwd)

Hi John,

Our previous list moderator, Terry Fritz, examined this very issue. You
definitely want the transformer connected to both legs of the
transformer. In this circuit, you get a single current spike as the
transformer is shorted during the arc event at the gap. If it was
series'd (one leg), you will get a bunch of voltage and current
oscillations which are dangerous for the transformer windings (dangerous
meaning that the transformers secondary windings can be overvolted and
breakdown causing a turn to turn short leaving it "dead"). Here's
Terry's write-up on this subject.

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html

Take care,
Bart