Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:59:00 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PVC vs. sonotube, (was wondering ) (fwd)

Agree with John here except in the sonotube category. In my use of
sonotube, I had no problems with heating or performance. I imagine much
depends on the quality of the sonotube itself (impurities or lack of).
When I built my sonotube, I thinned out varnish (varnish and paint
thinner) so that I had a very liquefied coating. I coated the inside and
out several times with the thinned varnish (wanting it to soak into the
cardboard) then finished off with a couple coats of unthinned varnish.
Wound the coil and then coated it with thick marine spar varnish. Coil
ran great.

I know some coilers have had great success with sonotube and some
coilers have had miserable failures. I'm not sure why the division
exists unless prep is part of it or if it's just the type of sonotube.
My sonotube was called Quikrete and I think I purchased it at a Home
Depot in Minnesota at the time.

For small coils under 8" diameter, pvc would be my choice. But as the
coil gets larger, pvc gets "heavy" and thick. Sonotube does have the
advantage of size vs. weight, but it is also more difficult to machine
end caps for. If sonotube is not treated, it will acclimate with the
weather and humid climates will definitely have problems (as Terry Fritz
found out while measuring sonotube and saw a major changes when it rained).

Take care,
Bart