Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:47:17 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: those folks at MIT (fwd)

At 11:40 AM 6/12/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

http://www.sciencemag.org/sciencexpress/recent.dtl

June 7th edition.

gotta pay for it, unless you're at an institution with a
subscription, or you're a member of AAAS

Did some analysis on their revised numbers in the supplementary
material (1 MHz instead of 10 MHz, single turn loop).

Using practical materials (silver plated copper, polypropylene
capacitors) the single turn loop (2 ft diameter) would have an
unloaded Q of about 1400.

Doesn't change the fact that the authors of the paper (and the
editors of Science) should be embarrassed about their lack of useful
quantitative data, and an obvious unfamiliarity (or willful
ignorance) of the relevant literature.  Some coworkers of mine here
are casually looking for the oldest references that describe the
phenomena reported in this paper.  They're not sure if they can get
back before 1850, but they are hopeful, since Faraday described
experiments with magnetic induction between two coils in 1831.  His
coils were untuned and on an iron core, though.

It's the editors of Science who really deserve opprobrium here..