Re: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:13:10 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NST Shunt Removal (fwd)

At 04:15 PM 6/12/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

you got it.. rubbermaid or tupperware.  It has a relatively oiltight seal.
one of those 1 gallon paint cans would probably also work.

The challenge is in getting the wires in and out with an oiltight seal.

>   I assume a container slightly bigger than the
> NST would contain enough oil for sufficient cooling.

Yes.

transformer oil is easy to come by, once you know
what to ask for.. ExxonMobil Univolt 65 or Shell
Diala AX are two popular types.  You'll have to
call around to find a place that sells it in
reasonable quantities (usually a 5 gallon
pail).  Runs about $5-6/gallon.  yellow pages
under oil-jobbers.  If you buy it from somewhere
that has to ship it, you'll probably pay more in shipping than for the oil.

If you have a place around you that does
transformer servicing (i.e. a utility), they'll
sometimes sell you small quantities of
transformer oil, but I've had very poor luck (in
Southern California) with that strategy. On the
other hand, there's half a dozen oil jobbers
within a half hour drive, so that's what I've done.

The key is to have the oil clean and dry, which
is the problem with  "white mineral oil, USP"
that you get at the drug store or feed store..
Those aren't always low water content.