RE: [] conical secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:03:17 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [] conical secondary (fwd)

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the analysis of the coil.  You provide some interesting insights
with regard to using just a cylinder for L3.  I will try that.  Do you think
the third coil can be replaced by a waveguide?

An engineer approached me last year and offerred to fly out to see this coil
operate, but I could not get it to run again.  My 15KV 30mA NST has gotten
too weak and I can't seem to find anything stronger than an OBIT in my
transformer collection.

I knew L3 resonated above 1200 KHz, but I didn't have a frequency generator
to find the exact resonance.

Does Javatc account for the 90 degree magnetic field tilt at the center of
the flat spiral?

As for the spark gap, I have mil spec silver plated copper contacts with
compressed air blowing between them.  I can select from 1 to 8 gaps.  I know
I never used more than four gaps.

Yes, I agree it is difficult to tune three coils to work together.  It is
like herding cats.  I'm having the same difficulty with my wireless power
system I'm trying to build.  The problem is the coils are built to fixed
values.  Only the primary is adjustable.  I was surprised to see the
enormous changes in resonance that occurred when coating the coils and
setting them up.

I think I have found a way out, though.  It has occurred to me that a 1000
watt variable frequency FM broadcasting station could replace the primary
and secondary coils.  I would only need to build the third coil and tune the
transmitter.  And instead of broadcasting the 1000 watt signal I could run
the antenna as the ground of the third coil, which is essentially what I
have done with the system you just analyzed.  Now all I need is $5000 to buy
the FM transmitter.

And now that you mentioned the L3 can be replaced with essentially a copper
pipe, I will try that.  If it will work, I can make L3 to be variable
frequency by sliding one pipe inside another with both immersed in oil.

Dave

David W. Thomson