Re: 15kVA 12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:27:36 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kVA  12.6kV pole pig (fwd)

1156D's are
 rated 10kVA at 120 VAC. my question is, from my understanding, usually the
 wire gage determines current. what makes a variac voltage limits?"

	Missed an answer to this if someone sent one.  The answer is the
core area and the "turns per volt", which determine the flux density in
the core.  For the same core area a transformer or any other iron-cored
device designed for 120 volts would need twice the number of turns for 240
volts.  If you attempt to run a 120 volt device on 240 volts is will draw
extremely high current because of core saturation and, if the breaker
doesn't blow, quit working because "all the smoke leaked out".
Absolutely no exceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed