Re: copper plated tungsten rods (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:33:39 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: copper plated tungsten rods (fwd)

The mixture I use to copper plate is a little more elaborate, but I have
found it works extremely well for many metals. 20 parts water, 7-10 parts
copper sulfate, 2-4 parts sulfuric acid (depending on strength), 1 part
ammonia, 1-2 parts sodium carbonate.  For a power supply I use a variable
voltage DC power supply purchased at radio shack, and set it at 6 volts for
a few hours (more or less voltage gives dendritic growth ("trees") or poor
adhesion, time determines plating thickness).  This gives me an excellent
surface finish, that is durable and holds a polished finish very well.  The
thing I was concerned about is weather it would stick to tungsten (it does
evidently) and weather it would be worth my trouble performance wise.  If I
could find a solution that would stick to steel bolts without messing up the
threads, I could save a lot of money on hardware!  I can also silver plate
stuff pretty well, without using toxic cyanide, but I keep that formula a
secret!
Scott Bogard.