Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:56:44 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A photographic tutorial of Pancake Coil winding...with
    movies...(fwd)

Paragraph #19 of "High Frequency Oscillators for Electro-therapeutic and
Other Purposes," Electrical Engineer, November 17, 1898 located at
http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/1898-11-17.htm relates to this discussion.

http://www.tfcbooks.com/images/articles/1898-11-17/figs_5678.gif

"One or two observations made while pursuing experiments with the apparatus
described might be found as deserving mention here.  As before stated, when
the oscillations in the primary and secondary circuits are in synchronism,
the points of highest potential are on some portion of the terminal T.  The
synchronism being perfect and the length of the secondary coil just equal to
one-quarter of the wave length, these points will be exactly on the free end
of terminal T, that is, the one situated farthest from the end of the wire
attached to the terminal.  If this be so and if now the period of the
oscillations in the primary be shortened, the points of highest potential
will recede towards the secondary coil, since the wave-length is reduced and
since the attachment of one end of the secondary coil to the ground
determines the position of the nodal points, that is, the points of least
potential.  Thus, by varying the period of vibration of the primary circuit
in any manner, the points of highest potential may be shifted accordingly
along the terminal T, which has been shown, designedly, long to illustrate
this feature.  The same phenomenon is, of course, produced if the body of a
patient constitutes the terminal, and an assistant may by the motion of a
handle cause the points of highest potential to shift along the body with
any speed he may desire.  When the action of the coil is vigorous, the
region of highest potential is easily and unpleasantly located by the
discomfort or pain experienced, and it is most curious to feel how the pain
wanders up and down, or eventually across the body, from hand to hand, if
the connection to the coil is accordingly made--in obedience to the movement
of the handle controlling the oscillations.  Though I have not observed any
specific action in experiments of this kind, I have always felt that this
effect might be capable of valuable use in electro-therapy."