RE: 3 Coil System Was: A photographic tutorial ofPancakeCoilwinding...with movies...(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:22:03 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: 3 Coil System      Was: A photographic tutorial
    ofPancakeCoilwinding...with movies...(fwd)

Hi Bart,

> >>Well, not in my experience. My 3 coil resonant transformer had all 3
> >>coils tuned to resonance with each other (they were all matched in
> >>frequency) and it produced streamers just fine.
> >>
> >Do you have details available?  Can I see the setup from a
> photograph?
> >
> Yes, I have 4 video's you can look at. Just click on the
> still image to open the video. You'll get a good taste of
> just how nerdy I really am.
>
> http://www.classictesla.com/photos/hybrid/hybrid.html

You do nice work.  I have to admit, I'm not much of an artist when it comes
to building coils.

But from the setup of your three coils, I can clearly see it is a different
animal altogether from what I'm talking about.

Your second and third coils are clearly inductively coupled.  And you are
correct in your description, this is not a "classic magnifier" as in the
sense Tesla developed it.  You will not see a zero-current mode of operation
as long as the third coil is inductively coupled to the second coil.

It is my understanding that a zero-current mode of operation will have a
maximum potential and be completely resonant within the third coil.  As I
understand it, this is a longitudinal resonance which affects electrons
differently than does a transverse resonance.  If I understand correctly,
the longitudinal resonance will allow for power transmission to far greater
distances than would a transverse resonance.  This is possible because the
longitudinal resonance acts like a closed system and can store energy in the
environment.  When energy is tapped at some distance, a tunnel effect occurs
as the system only needs to replenish the energy being removed between the
transmitter and receiver.

> Coupling of L1 to L2 (driver coils) was 0.28 which is about
> midway between a 2 coil setup and a classic magnifier. This
> is a maggy which "has" inductive coupling between L1, L2, and
> L3. That's the difference and is why I called it a Hybrid
> Maggy (I just didn't know what to call it).

Regardless of what you call it, at least now I can understand what you are
referring to.  Thanks for the clarification.

Dave