RE: Coil Winding Direction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:49:47 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Coil Winding Direction (fwd)

Mike,
     If I am not mistaken, the direction of the windings has absolutely no
effect at all on perceived performance.  It does have an effect however,
when the magnetic field from the primary induces a current in the secondary,
the direction of current flow is dictated in part by the direction of the
windings (another of the many right hand rules).  The reason this has no
effect on performance is that the Tesla coil is an AC system, so if the
output is negative for the first half of the cycle, it will obviously be
positive for the second half.  I am not sure if this directly effects the
direction of current flow in the actual arcs output from the coil, but I
think it does (correct me if I am wrong guys).  So, if one flips the winding
direction of one (not both) of the coils in a Tesla system, the direction of
the current flow will be oppositely phased (180 degrees) than what it was,
before the flip.  I couldn't even tell you which direction my coils are
wound, as the instantaneous current direction is not important for just
making sparks, which is all I care about.  This is how I understand it, I
hope I answered your question.
Scott Bogard.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Coil Winding Direction (fwd)
>Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:41:21 -0600 (MDT)

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/