RE: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:26:28 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

Jonathon,
     I find it odd that you can get different results by adjusting the phase
of your spark gap.  The reason I say this is because my SRSG will ONLY fire,
when it is perfectly in phase (I have about 2 degrees of play, between a
roaring gap (making a musical tone somewhere between B and B flat), and an
occasional random crackle, take it out another 2 degrees and I have
nothing).  What is the approximate spacing of your gaps, mine are set kind
of wide, at about 1/8 in (which is not really ideal).  Are you using 120 or
240 BPS, (or are you not from the states, and using 100 or 200 BPS).  A tip
of advice, to phase my gap, I built a test rig out of a mason jar (beer
bottle) cap, and a copper coil primary, with a junk OBIT I had laying around
(that way if something got fried, it didn't matter a whole lot), just make
sure you put some form of primary (and ideally a secondary) in there so you
don't fry your junk transformer (don't use expensive capacitors, make one).
If phasing is still difficult to tell, widen your gaps until you set the
motor is in it's sweet spot (loudest, most steady noise), and then narrow
the gaps back down to decrease you gap losses.  In my test rig I have no
safety gaps.  What is your power level?  46 inches isn't too shabby!  Good
luck.
Scott Bogard.