To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Toroids

Hi Terry,

The balls have the same advantages over toroids even with a classic coil. The toroid can be raised and lowered, but not expanded. The balls have "that" extra dimensional option. That in itself makes it a superior topload (me thinks).

I will begin collecting these sphere's for toploads for my classic coils. You've already figured out a nice mounting technique, so once again, you did all the work and all we have to do is follow in your footsteps!

Thanks for always being "cutting edge". I know there was someone else who had also did the same (he's cutting edge too!). It's not a knew idea as most coilers have contemplated various topload configurations (sphere configurations are always part of that thought process). The difference is "you did it"! And it "is cool"!

I can even imagine a sphere topload like this on a super huge coil. What a nice way to cut cost and enhance topload adjustment.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,

PIRANHA-II can make "very good" use of an adjustable top load! The primary is pretty well "fixed" hiding in its "bunker" and not meant to be "tuned in" ever again at that point (just like Cheney >:O))...

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/Construction/PIRANHA-Const-012.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/Construction/PIRANHA-total-02.JPG

The primary coil was chopped down step by step until the right point was found:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/Construction/PIRANHA-Const-004.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/Tuning.JPG

The balls just slide in and out on the brass tubing from the hobby shop:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/TerminalTuning.JPG

This varies the coil's secondary capacitance from 28 to 34 pF.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/TerminalTuning.gif

Combined with the 73.63mH secondary, I can tune from 100.6 to 110.8 kHz. So if you can get the coil's tuning pretty close in the first place, no need for primary tap adjustments. I do hold the rods in place with a bit of tape since the balls will slide right off if tipped otherwise.

Adjustment is useful in say going from an enclosed room to outside...
Instead of moving the primary tap around for the best arcs, you just slide the terminal ball in and out for the best arcs...

The ball terminal works pretty good:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveBaehr/b01_2858.jpg

They really are much like a conventional torroid:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/newcoil-00.jpg

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/newcoil-01.jpg

I really don't think I will ever plane on using anything "else" now... In order to save lab space, I think I will just "crush and discard" my old big dryer duct toroids since this new terminal is pretty universally useful for all my coils now. I guess I consider dryer duct and aluminum "real" toroids "obsolete" and far too expensive now...

I do note that at lower indoor power levels, I have to use a breakout point or it just sits there and glows...

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PrettyPictures/BallTerminal/PIRANHA-DragonsGlowing.JPG

The dragons and all exposed metal ,like the handles, are fully RF grounded... Sort of a "hidden" strike ring...

Cheers,

        Terry