France unpotting progress. Proof positive aging Frances/tar potted trans carbon track.

Hi,

I pulled my 12/30 out of it's marinade of gas and diesel fuel and bushed
away to the shunts nice and clean - quite a few. I'm going to give it
another day or two, brush it again at the tops of the HV coils and submerge
it in a cleaner solution. Geez, these are nice without the bulk! The next
phase may be to start submerging it in mineral oil to mix with the solvents
and displace them. I have a vacuum pump if I can find a suitable evacuation
chamber. First to knock out some shunts!

The spark of this transformer was a weak purple. There were visible cracks
in the tar. The windings measured at least 1K ohm difference to ground. Now
the resistance is equal and substantially higher. This is a circa mid 90's
France transformer... so beware:-^)

I'll snap a couple of pictures before I button it up and put em up on my
Google blog. Internally, it is very straight forward.

I'll take out half the shunts as advised and mind the short circuit current
which will be high with the giant caps I'm trying to charge. The voltage
full wave Cockcroft/Walton quadrupler is awaiting the France. As mentioned
it works great with a healthy, newish transformer.

Jim Mora

I have a ferro - resonant dual C core almost this size for a 100Khz charger
project as well; but, I'm still "stuck in the sixties". And most of us like
taking things apart and a long time ago playing in the mud!