Re: AC resonance circuit with DC electrolytic capacitors? (resonating, reson...

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/10/07 11:52:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Not really.  As the lamp filament heats and cools, it causes filament
>resistance to change, which slightly changes the resonant frequency of the
>RLC circuit,

Does changing the "R" in an RLC circuit change the resonant frequency? Or just the Q? I'm guessing a dim bulb filament has low resistance, which *allows* the resonance to increase the current until the filament starts glowing. The filament glows until enough energy has dissipated from the LC tank that the resonant current drops. When the current drops, the light dims again. I guess the trick is using an L and C large enough to store enough energy so that an equilibrium of a "half-dim" bulb isn't reached with a particular bulb?

-Phil LaBudde

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339>AOL.com.