Re: Terry Filter Tuning

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Best way to reduce it is eliminate most of it with a SISG solid state spark gap. Less heat so the normal spark gap electrodes do not get red hot and fail to quench. Efficiency increases substantially, usually 50% longer sparks per kVA of input power than classic air type gaps. Typical with air gap is around 1 ft per 1 kVA while with solid state SISG design approx 450 Watts per ft of spark for coils with total spark outputs under 4-5 feet.

With nsts a good parallel tube gap with forced air fan works good. Above 4 kVA just go to a nice rotary.

It varies a lot from coil to coil depending on the design. One tip: Using a larger dia sec coil soaks up a lot more energy than a small 2-3 inch dia sec, so less problems as the coil dia. increases. I have some data on this but it's all back in files in WI and I don't have access to it. Mom would never find it!!!

Dr. Resonance

Reading these posts about the Terrry Filter brought a question to mind. Has anyone measured/monitored the energy reflected back from the tank circuit? And assuming it is wasted done some tuning to reduce that reflected energy?
Russell T.