Re: 304tl experiments...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

John,

> I think the idea of using a solid state switch for
> creating
> staccato operation of a filtered DC vttc is well
> worth pursuing.
> I just wanted to point out some issues that have to
> be
> considered.

Yes, thanks for doing so.  It certainly won't be a
matter of just plugging in a standary SCR with a 555
oscillator on the gate.  I think one of the 1000v 600a
IGBT bricks would be sufficient, probably overkill for
that duty.  Plus, the driver circuitry wouldn't be any
more sophisticated than the usual staccato.

> Dave Sharpe has a new vttc typology that overcomes
> these difficulties.  It permits staccato operation
> with
> filtered DC and also offers other advantages
> compared
> to a traditional vttc.

Yes, he has some good ideas about this, and apparently
he has been thinking about it longer than I have.
Nevertheless, I came up with it independantly a week
or two ago when taking a break from solid state
coiling to do an 833A run or two on my vttc.  I may
not get around to cooking something up for this any
time soon.  Then again I might change my mind.  In any
case, I have enough solid state coiling plans to last
me probably to close to the end of this year, and they
could easily take up all my free time.  But sometimes
it is just fun to get back to the vttc and unwind.

-Brett