RE: First tesla coil question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Ryan:

I think what you should be asking (perhaps you are?) is "How do I adjust
my spark gap for proper operation"?  From the way you phrased your
question, I can't tell how your complete circuit is hooked up.

When running or testing a Tesla Coil, it is very important to have all
circuit components hooked up - NST, gap, capacitor, primary, secondary,
and top load.  It is especially BAD (damages capacitor & NST) to have
only the NST, gap, and capacitor.  Testing the gap with just the NST and
gap (no capacitor) is OK however.

One typically does not diagnose proper gap operation by observation of
the gap sparks.  Either the gap sparks or it doesn't, and instruments
are not at all needed.  The important things to check on your gap are:

1) What is the (total) separation between the electrodes?  The answer is
to a degree academic, as there is no simple "for this NST use that gap
width" answer.  What you must do is set the gap width such that with
ONLY the NST connected to it, the gap will just start to fire.  But I
ask because too narrow hobbles performance, and too wide can kill your
NST or capacitor.
2) The gap electrode geometry is important.  You do not want the spark
to occur at the same, small area on the electrodes, like at the end of a
pointed nail.  This will cause the point to get too hot, which is bad.
Ideally, the electrodes will arc along a long side, as with using
parallel copper pipe segments.  This keeps the heat generated in any
small area low and allows it to be dissipated.
3) The electrode material is important.  While tungsten is best in high
powered applications, copper or brass are fine for low or medium powered
applications.
4) Air flow through the gap almost always helps improve performance.  It
needn't be a huge amount (you don't need a leaf blower or compressor).

If you provide more details about the construction of your gap and other
components, we'd be happy to evaluate and offer constructive criticism
;-)

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA