Re: ARSG Questions

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bart.

I'm glad to finally have this thing up and running.
With very little tuning and much tweaking to go, I hit
7' on my second day, at 200 volts and around 25 amps.
I've been working on this thing since 2003! I ran it
once two Halloweens ago, but had a gap meltdown:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/Meltdown.jpg

I not only melted pvc, but solder as well.

When I first started modeling this coil with either
JavaTC or FanTC, I seem to recall a minor upgrade was
requird, as my coil was a little outside the norm as
far as aspect ratio. But you got it fixed and it
pretty much nailed my tuning points.

I occasionally hear my welder thumping, but never
noticed my pig doing so.

Here's my rsg, before I mounted the motor I got from
you:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/srsg.jpg

It's a 3,600 rpm 480 bps TTR srsg seen here:

http://www.ttr.com/rotary_spark_gap.htm

It claims to be good for 15 kVA. I got it from David
Rieben. I tried running my coil srsg style, but
decided to go arsg. I originally ran the srsg motor
with one phase of the three phase vfd, and it kinda
worked, but the vfd wasn't real happy with the phase
imballance. So I bought your 3 phase motor and had the
hub line bored (no turning back now) and added the
1725 rpm motor.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/rsg1.jpg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/rsg2.jpg

Excuse the poor pics, as I just took them in a dark
garage with no flash or tripod. Since I've heard
several people state that they couldn't run their
rsg's with both sets in series, I set mine up to use
just one set. Maybe I sould try the other set in
series, though I'll have to cut down my motor mounts
to accomodate the larger motor.

As to the VFD, I have it setup with a pot which is
currently set for 45 - 150 Hz! It seems happiest (at
current power level) around 70 - 80 Hz. I'm curently
using five sets of two 37667's, so I have 75 nF. I'd
like to try removing 15 nF at a time, while adding Hz,
to see if adding more pri H helps my gap issues.

Here's my schematic:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/schematic.pdf

Adam

It's here! Your new message!