Re: How to join secondary wires, was intro + coil questions

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/30/07 11:45:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've used 3 x 250metre spools, and made
>splices along the length. These consist of the ends soldered together
>(with minimal 'sharpness') and sleeving places over the join, then
>epoxy sealed using araldite. Will this give me any problems?

Ben,

Most likely your secondary will work fine with the solder and sleeves.

The way I splice magnet wire is to:

  1)  file the wire to a long wedge shape at the ends, don't strip any
       insulation at all.  the wedge can be 1/2" long, tapered, flat.
       Do the filing only on one side.  Use a jeweler's file.

  2)  tin the wedge flat surface of both ends by applying solder
       using soldering iron.

  3)  line up the two ends so the wedges overlap, the flat surfaces
       contact.  Overlap them by just under 1/2".  This way there
       won't be any bulge.  The joint will be normal wire thickness,
       and the insulation will still be there, except on the flats that
       are soldered.

  4)  Use the soldering iron to actually solder the two wires together
      after lining them up as in (3) above.

Makes an excellent joint.  This method was suggested in the past
by someone on this list.  I forget who.  But it works excellently.
The thicker the wire, the easier this is to do.  Practice with thick
wire, then with thinner wire to gain proficiency.

  Other Tesla coiling info at:

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

John

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.