Re: top load height

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

With magnet wire coils I usually space the base of the toroid (horizontal plane) 3 inches above the last secondary winding.

With large PVC covered insulation on the wire, I usually set this distance at 6 inches.

The larger the cross section of the torus the more height the coil will tolerate --- increased electrostatic shielding of the upper sec turns.

Dr. Resonance

Hi everybody,
A quick question, is there any rule of thumb for determining the proper height of your top load (toroids) from the top windings of your secondary? It seems to make a differance in performance, but is there a way to determine the optimum height (other than by sheer experimentation of course!). Thanks.
Scott Bogard

It's tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMMartagline