Re: Of notches, coupling and frequency splitting

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

All,

Just to remind, this thread is about waveforms that oscillates at 2 different frequencies simultaneously, (like the current waveform in a tesla coil tank circuit) and what it looks like on a scope.

With input from Steve Conner, on the 4HV forum, I was encouraged to look at not only the + - peaks, but also the zero crossings.
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/sawtoothnotchtable.jpeg
This data suggests that the primary current waveform is a sine wave with a slight sawtooth tilt to it. Also, at the notches, a phase reversal takes place, which increases the frequency during 1-2 cycles.

If his is it: the rising 1/4 portion of the wave is shorter in duration than the falling 1/4 portion, then it makes sense to me that the wave oscillates at 2 frequencies simultaneously.

The transition from leading phase to lagging phase at the notches, with the associated rise in frequency, should show up in the FFT plots but I can`t see how it does..

Comments?

Cheers, Finn Hammer