Re: Equi-drive vs. standard drive, was SGTC

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phil et al.

Here is my take on the equidrive circuit based on discussions and
brainstorming with R. Hull about 10-20 years ago.  This was/is
an attempt to determine scientific advantages (if any) over this
topology and just the old "parallel feed" capacitor system

With an equidrive (or series feed/parallel SG system)...
1.  AC transformer is shunted during SG commutation.  This stores
     energy in transformer (Ldi/dt) that would not normally be stored
     in transformer, in a parallel C configuration.  This I is released
     when the gap quenches "possibly" allowing faster C recharging.
     I do know that equidrive systems can be run with much higher break
     rates then a parallel drive system (30-50% faster if my memory
     is correct).

2.  The SG shunting the tank circuit removes the AC line and transformer
     impedance as a parallel parasitic tank load.  This is probably
     the most compelling  reason for using a series feed/equidrive
     configuration, IMO.  You also reduce HV/RF transients from HV
     transformer windings (by SG shunting with operation).

3.  Equidrive allows input voltage to be divided between two sets
     of independent tank capacitors.  This is probably the main reason
     Tesla used it in Colorado Springs, his dielectric materials frankly
     "sucked", and he was stacking the deck as best he could.  He still
     had to reduce the transformer voltage (by reconnecting the HV
     windings in parallel), and still run equidrive to keep from having
     catastrophic capacitor failures.  This is a reasonable reason
     to use it today, to improve system robustness.

     With modern materials and MMC technology, much higher tank
     voltages can be run then previously used.  This would
     allow C size reduction for same energy (0.5*C*V^2) and a large
     value primary L for a given frequency, which would tend to reduce
     SG losses, and increase primary tank Q.

4.  Two independent capacitor banks would maximize tuning
     flexibility and would allow fine tuning (even with non-perfect
     equal values on each leg, realizing voltage division will not
     be perfect in that condition), and would reduce V stress on each
     capacitor

I also admit that all machines that I build are equidrive machines,
with C bleeders.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield VA. USA