Re: 60 HZ single phase from 3 phase generator to drive an single phase HV transformer

Original poster: "Dave Pierson" <davep@xxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:17:26 -0600
 "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Original poster: "Jim Mora" <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hello Group,
>
>For our IGBT engineering types: I would like to have both three phase
> and single phase from my 3 phase only 480v generator on my Tesla demo trailer.
   Any three phase source can supply modest amounts of single phase.
   It would be ehlpful for (or other commentators...) to know more about the
   existing supply:
    Delta?
    Wye?
    Neutral available?
    Manual spec, if any, for unbalanced loads?
    Is there any 'sprare' KVA available?
    Will the single and three phase be used at the same time?

   Ferinstance:
    If delta wired, I'd get a transformer, of appropriate KVA
    for load, arrange breakers to connect it 'line to line' to the
    460 v Alternator.

   Grounding, especially with Tesla Gear may take some thought.

   Sure, could build an inverter, but the above seems simpler.

    best
     dwp