From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:18 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RG-8 coax

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robert,

I can't say for certain that you have to strip it, but if you do,
then you can make a stripping block to make the job easy.

Take a block of scrap 2" x 4" wood and drill a hole through it that
allows your RG-8 through in a close sliding fit.  Cut a slot through
the block into the drilled hole with a thin sawblade, like a coping
saw, to make a profile like a nearly closed letter "C".  Take the
blade from a utility knife and place it in the saw kerf with the
knife tip protruding into the wire hole just far enough to score the
jacket of the RG-8.
Clamp the block and knife assembly in a bench vise so that the vise
jaws hold the blade securely.  Feed your RG-8 through the block/knife
assembly, and you will get a longitudinal slit in the outer
insulation, which can then be pulled off quite easily.  If you
haven't gone too deep, you can even recover the internal braid intact
and use it for ground braid somewhere.  Just push the braid off
toward one end, like a Chinese finger trap.

HTH,

Dave