Re: need help/capacitors and AC

Hi Matthew,

It depends on how long you want them to last. Dr R sells TC's to museums that can run 24/7 so he needs to be more conservative. Terry Fritz tested the 942C caps with 60Hz 1400Vrms (2000V peak across the cap) on the caps running 24/7 and found that they lasted for around 75 hours (ok, so not 7 days). For hobby use, this could be a life time of coiling. I use 14 caps in series per string (28KVdc rating) with a 15KV 120ma NST using a SRSG timed so I get 24500Vpeak across the string. I have never lost a cap yet and the tuning has never changed suggesting a degradation in the cap value. You will find a whole spectrum of opinions on this.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Matthew Boddicker" <shmerpleton_town@xxxxxxxxxxx>

This is Matthew,
On the cornell-dubilier web page it said that the model 942C caps went to 2000dc or 500ac. Do I pay attention to the dc or ac rating?
thanks Scott,
Matthew