Re: Flourescent tubes, no resistance?

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

I was thinking about this just last week or so. To mimic Telsa's demonstration of wireless energy transmission, I was thinkg of hooking a number of old 8 ft fluorescent bulbs in series to get an artificially plasma conducting channel...I was warned that they contain some mercury, so it might genterate a small amount of x-rays in doing this....so I will have my lead underwear on if I do it. I don't know how a gas inside the bulb would 'burn out' as you suggest unless it combines the the metals and/or the phospors. I don't that I'd try using them for the primary tank circuit...possibly the leads from an NST to the tank circuit, but there doesn't appear in my mind to be any advantage to that and insulating them would be problematic, I'd think
Mike

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone, a while ago I found out that flourescent tubes offer no
resistance to electricity. They must be current ballasted to operate
at the desired amperage. Hooking a mains line directly across a tube
will allow full current draw until the breaker pops. That is if the
tube doesnt blow up first. Not sure if it would do that, but it seems
possible.

My questions is, is it possible to use a flourescent tube as a high
voltage connection for a small tesla/medium tesla coil? Better yet,
some kind of wire that is gas filled, but I'm not sure if such a
thing is even on the market. Where I see this to be useful is in long
connections leading to say, the primary coil. Or for instance, assume
that a ground connection is very far away. Some type of gas filled
electrical connection could be used to connect to the far away
distance without any added resistance.

Of course the obvious problems with using a flourescent tube or type
of gas filled connection is that eventually the gas would burn out,
correct? So the connections would not be permanent, of course, and
would have to be replaced periodically. I guess the real question is,
how thick of a metalic conductor, say copper, is needed to get rid of
noticable resistance, and would this even be worth trying?

No need to miss a message. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>Get started.