To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 4:30 AM
Subject: Re: Hand cranked Tesla Coil?

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Never throw out a challenge to make small sparks without expecting me to respond.... Today, I have made 1/4 inch sparks with a hand generator (antique telephone) and my mini coil using one instead of 4 segments for the static gap. The generator was giving 100V peak AC under load into the NST. (Mains is 375V peak AC). Pic on my site already here.
http://tesladownunder.com/Solid%20State.htm#Hand-cranked%20TC
(don't forget that the Tesla list gives the address twice in a row hence doesn't link properly. You need to cut and paste from one "http://....."; to just up to the next "http://..."; so nothing is repeated)

Peter

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi again, I would like to know if anyone on the list has built a "human" powered Tesla Coil. Be it a hand crank, peddle powered generator, etc... For some reason this seems to be of interest to me lately, and I can't get it off my mind. Eventually I would like to build my own little AC generator. Is this a highly complicated task or not so complicated? Be it either of those I would still like to do this eventually. I had ran into a website showing the creation of a wind mill AC generator, but lost the URL since then. It did not seem to be all that complicated, although some special fabrication of metal seemed to be needed. The mill would create over 30 amps at 120volts with a wind speed of 20mph. I would assume that a peddle powered generator (old bike) could be made to move at least 10amps at 120vo! lts. A hand crank maybe being able to move about 5 amps at 120volts.

Thanks,
Matt G.