Re: maxwell pulse cap.

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Aaron,

Rather than trying to use adhesive to seal a fill hole, I'd suggest drilling the hole out to the tap size of, say, a 6/32 screw. Thread the hole with a machinists tap and install a nylon screw with a rubber washer to seal the hole. If you need to add more oil in the future, just unscrew the closure, and replace it after you've refilled the cap.

Dave

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I had a 35kV .03uF Maxwell that I used in my 3.5" coil
for some time.  Worked great.  Never leaked a drop of
oil until the day it blew up.  Then, of course, all
the oil leaked out fairly rapidly! :-P  Any kind of
leakage must certainly *not* be normal, as there's not
much in there to begin with, and as soon as the level
drops to where the guts are exposed to air, it's all
over!  Sinking in oil might save it.  I've never
learned what kind of adhesives hold back oil, but
perhaps somebody will chime in with some experience
there...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE