Re: RE: Teletype motor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:30:31 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RE: Teletype motor (fwd)

In a message dated 5/14/2007 8:19:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I pose  the question regarding the RPM. Would this not slow the motor down  to
much?
Tony
Tony,

The use of my electronic phase adjuster circuit does not change the
motor's speed.  Only the phase changes as the variac knob is  turned.
When using a synchronous gap, the speed has to be exactly correct.
The motor can't be allowed to slow down at all.  If the motor  slows,
then it will no longer be in sync.  There is of course a slight  speed
change as the phase is being changed, but once you stop turning  the
variac knob, the speed returns to normal.  In the phase shifter  circuit
the variac is not used in the normal way that a variac is used.   Instead it
is used as a variable inductor.   If the phase shifter capacitor  in the
circuit is not of the correct value, this can cause the motor to slow  down
and lose lock at one end of the variac's range.  It is bad if the  motor
loses sync-lock.  For this reason it is important to carefully select  the
capacitor value to get the desired results.  I discuss this at my  website at:

 _http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html)

John