Re: Faraday Cage Painted (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:45:50 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Faraday Cage Painted (fwd)

>> I'm new in this forum and I have a question. Some one knows what happens
>> if I paint a Faraday cage with a insulator paint?

  The meaning of the words becomes real tricky, here.
  Bonding of any Faraday cage must be 'continuous',
  at edges, doors, etc.  HOW 'continuous' is
  continuous, depends on the frequencies of interest,
  1/10 wavelength is one figure sometimes used.

  For the usual coiling freqs this means the joints need not
  be real close, HOWEVER there are strays/harmonics, at higher freqs,
  which  may be of interest.  Also, while not specifically
  relavant to the 'insulated' question: all wires 'thru'
  the cage wall must be carefully handled.  (filtered at/'in'
  the cage wall' ior noise will ride in/out.

  This latter is of less importance if the cage is intended to contain
  the strikes, rather than to limit 'noise'.

  (I generally concur with all previous comments...)
   best
    dwp