Quenching Theory Question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:19:35 -0400
From: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Quenching Theory Question

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out some simulation parameters for a spark gap, and had a few questions about arc formation and quenching.  Is it correct that the point at which an arc forms is entirely dependent on the potential difference between the contacts?  I've seen a lot of tables that relate arc length to voltage, so if this is correct, I could find out all of the arc formation parameters myself.  Also, I was wondering what determined when an arc quenched.  I know that once a gap fires, the voltage can drop and/or oscillate significantly without the arc extinguishing, but how low can the voltage/current drop before a typical arc extinguishes for a given distance?  The distance involved here is going to be only a few millimeters, so that's what I'm interested in.  Like, how low could the voltage/current across a gap of a few millimeters get before quenching, with moderate air flow?
I also had a few questions about resistance encountered in a gap.  Is the resistance generally constant with a given gap width?  And what kind of resistances are usually encountered?

Thanks a lot,
Chris