Re: Ignition Coil Power Supply QUestions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:36:09 +0100
From: James Howells <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ignition Coil Power Supply QUestions (fwd)

I have had several ignition coils running now and the best solution I have
found is to drive them with a NE555 oscillator  inputting into a mosfet
The primary IG  coil can have a supply from 10 v to 24 volts - battery or
mains PSU
http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_ignition_coil_driver.htm
A very good driver is the PWM on the rbcybernetics site
http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_pulse_controller.htm

USE TWO power handling device ( 2 x 2n3055 or what ever you decide to use )
and lots of cooling VERY big heat sink or salvaged CPU fans

Then rectify the output of the  IG coil with 30Kv diodes or higher

Then place the primary capacity bank across the circuit and the spark gap
following in series  ( the opposite to what you would normally do)

A small coil will most likely need 3 - 4.5 nF capacity BUT HERE IS THE BUG
BEAR

it needs to be 40Kv rating .............. this is the only  stumbling block
I find

I have just blown 30 usd woth of Chinese caps - 30 at  2 kv

I have run at 20Kv total rating with ceramic caps and thought I would  "get
away" with
 26Kv with polypropylene cap ..... I did not !

Getting High Voltage capacitors for ignition coils and flybacks IS my single
biggest problem in the UK

Digikey do them but want to charge me £21 ( 42USD ) to send me 20 USD
 worth of caps
Well! that's my practical input

Protected by www.SpamJab.com {UgzndUInruKjv2Cy9r}