Re: pole pig question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 00:42:09 +0000
From: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: pole pig question (fwd)

Hi Jim,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question?
A typical single phase pole transformer has either one
or two of the "horns" or "rabbit ears" that protrude
from the top lid of the tank and these are where the
high voltage is tapped from the overhead primary line(s).
If it has two horns, then the internal primary high voltage
winding is normally completely isolated from the outer tank
shell. If it has a single horn, then the high voltage primary
winding has one end grounded to the outer metal tank
shell.

There are ususally three low voltage secondary output
bushings on the upper part of the side of the tank shell.
If its output is 240 volts, then there will be 240 volts be-
tween the two outer secondary bushings and 120 volts
between each of the outer secondary bushings and the
center bushing, which is normally grounded to the side
of the tank shell via a copper grounding strap. Coilers
usually remove this ground strap if they are going to run
the pig on a ballasted 240 volt input and hook the bal-
lasted 240 volts to the outer two secondary bushings,
leaving the center one unhooked.

Hope this cleared things up a bit for you.

David Rieben