Re: secondary output calculations (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:38:56 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: secondary output calculations (fwd)

Hi Scott,

Ohms law always works (it must), but to often we just don't have
accurate information for top volts. A typical terminal output voltage
for our coils may indicate near 500KV, but that is a non-breakout
potential. Usually, you'll calc a secondary current somewhere between 5
and 20 amps using a typical Vp calculation (sqrt[(2J)/Csec)] for the
norm of coils built. The problem with the results are the topload
breakout conditions.

The topload will usually breakout at a much lower voltage than calc'd.
There are many reasons for that. Some reasons have to do with the
topload geometry itself. Yet there are further considerations such as
the E-field, how space charge affects the E-field, RF AC pulse
conditions, etc., all making for a very complex situation regarding
avalanche breakdown. I doubt there are problems with your calculation.
But, yes, the results will be very high and not realistic.

The only way to find out that I'm aware of is to take several sample
measurements under breakout conditions of the base current (and
average). You can measure the base current with a current loop (such as
a Pearson current probe which converts amps to volts where typically
1A=1V). The top volts are not so easily measured. That is the "real"
problem. Direct measurement is near impossible even with state of the
art capacitive dividers (which are expensive). Even they distort and
affect the E-field your trying to measure. Trying to take a top volt
measurement without affecting the coil is troubling to say the least.
You can however guestimate the top volts under model but then you have
to assume an E-field value at which avalanche breakdown will occur. This
is somewhat understood as about 25kV/cm to 30kV/cm. The problem is
determining complex influence on a portion of the topload that will
achieve a predicted breakdown voltage. The areas around the topload are
affected by the space charge surrounding the topload (and not
necessarily evenly distributed). The E-field at portions of the topload
are influenced by the space charge and the topload itself. It will
breakdown at a much lower average voltage than what a typical
calculation will derive.

Even if you insert a topload capacitance into a calculation, there are
various geometry's of top loads that can have that same capacitance
value and yet be very different as far as breakout potential.

However, using ohms law, you can measure the base current and likely get
close. Don't be surprised if your top volts ends up between 1/2 and 2/3
of what you are calculating now. Those are calculations which have no
consideration about what is going on at the top of coils.

Javatc uses what can be considered a "maximum conceivable top volts"
using the energy storage capacitance (Cee). It is a simple calc:
Vp*sqrt(Cpri/Cee). Cee is a good number for this particular max top volt
value. It represents the capacitance when all the energy is stored in
the topload (that brief period in the cycle). But it is not what you
would measure if you could measure it. It does not represent the real
situation for all the reasons stated previously. Thus, the secondary
current falls prey to the same if using top volt calculations to
determine it.

Hope this helps a little. Others here have a much better understanding
of the situation and could do a far better job at explaining it than I
could.

Take care,
Bart