Re: pole pig question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:20:27 -0700
From: Don Murray <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pole pig question (fwd)

Primary neutrals and common neutrals are metallic returns to substation.
  A primary neutral is not connected to the secondary. A primary neutral
is carried in the primary position on the pole(above transformer) and is
often a smaller conductor on smaller insulators. A common neutral is
connected to the primary and secondary. A common neutral is cared is the
secondary position (below transformer) on the pole. Around here common
neutrals are ground every 1000` under the main line and the end of every
lateral tap to a 3.5 ohm ground or less. Tested with a Vibrogound. A
secondary neutral is not always a common neutral. You don’t have to have
a primary or common neutral and you can still have a secondary neutral
which is ground at the pole and the service entrance. Most utilities
have not used a wire staple to bottom of pole for a ground since the
70’s and your not supposed to put the ground rod in the pole hole ether
it should be in virgin ground.

Don