Re: Greg Leyh's Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:39:25 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Greg Leyh's Coils (fwd)

A little harsh, Ed.
As a TC photographer of some experience, I occasionally use a flash.
For example for my shots in a pool it was the only way to snap the motion of
the ripples in the pool but still have a longer exposure of 0.5 seconds to
get a reasonable number of sparks.  Without using the flash, the pool
surface blurs out and looks unnatural.
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#Pool
If I wanted to capture moving people in the background being still as well
as sparks then I would use a flash and and a long exposure.  You have to
know your cameras manual settings well to be able to arrange this and
usually only available on SLR cameras.
Of course I realise that people were just using the default settings on
their point and shoot cameras and were probably getting disappointing
results.
Cheers
Peter