questions about tank capacitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:00:36 +0000
From: d.grieves90@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: questions about tank capacitor

Hello everyone,

I am building my first tesla coil and have many questions. I plan to power
my coil with a 15 kV 30mA 450VA neon sign transformer with a variac to
control the output, probably from 6 kV to 15 kV in steps of 1 kV or so. I
am using a static gap made up of multiple gaps in series, allowing me
change the total gap size to fit the voltage of each step. But I don't
know what value my tank capacitor should be. I am planning to use the LTR
value for the transformer at full voltage (0.008uF). At the lowest voltage
settings however, this would be considerably less than the resonant value.
Is this OK? Or should use the LTR value for the lowest voltage (6 kV), or
maybe somewhere in between? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or
guidance,
thanks. Dan