Re: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:13:59 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

Hi Gary & Kurt,

Sounds like a safe means of performing the measurement. Like Kurt, I
rarely do this anymore and use Javatc for the value (which is the same
code used in ACMI for those particular outputs). This is the safe method
in my book. Enough coilers have verified accuracy time and time again.
Programs also handle the inductances.

In practice, coilers want to measure for themselves from time to time
and are going to do so with the method easiest to perform (which is this
one). This test will put ~120 Vac on the exposed primary winding and
there are other numerous cords and connections which are hot lying
around as well (and are more likely to get a shock from those
connections than anything else).

Coilers performing the test are going to have to be careful to make sure
they don't fall or grab an exposed hot wire, primary, etc. It's not the
only hazardous measurement, but is certainly one that requires an
understanding of what can happen if you slip up.

Take care,
Bart