Re: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:37:57 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

[grin] Of course, things like an iron probably have some type of thermal
regulation, so not sure I would use it. One could also series up several
60W bulbs. Anything will work. But, if you use 1 meter to take a primary
current reading and then use the same meter to later take a secondary
voltage reading, you really want the current to be the same in both
cases (that's when a "stable" current is important) and most of the
items people have chosen are not regulated and the current changes with
temperature (except heating element in water or hair dryer). Actually,
light bulbs in series might be pretty good for a single meter method.
But, 2 meters is best and then the ballast can be "whatever".

Take care,
Bart