[RE]mains filter (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:36:46 -0500 (EST)
From: M G <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RE]mains filter (fwd)

p {margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}

As the others have stated, the Terry filter is ment to protect the high
voltage windings of the transformer, although I'm sure it also helps some
to reduce RFI entering back through the mains. I purchased the parts to
make the Terry filter on Ebay. Took a few days to build once I got the
parts, but it turned out alright. Also got a mains 2(+/-)x10 amp RFI
filter on ebay for a good price. A little suggestion. Keep the mains
filter as far away from the coil as you can.

I once did a test, and found that with the mains filter right next to the
transformer, which was right below the coil, the filter is kind of
pointless. I took a CFL, and ran it along the extention cord supplying
the electricity for my setup. To my surprise the CFL would light up
slightly, due to the RF electricity the line was collecting inductively.
I have since made a small wooden box to hold the RFI filter. It sits
right next to the outlet that I use to power the coil. Installed a
switch, and power indicating bulb onto the box. Works great! If you want
to see some photographs, or schematics let me know.

By the way everyone, it's been a good while since I last posted. I'm
still here, but too busy to be active anymore. I check the threads every
once-in-a-while to see if anything new is happening. Glad to see the list
is still active, and helping out newcommers.

Matt G.