Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:32:42 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

Jay,

The spark gap is your problem. You must obtain a means
to dissipate the heat that is being generated in your SG.
When the air between the SG contacts heats up too much
and isn't being properly cooled (quenched), the air tends to
ionize which greatly reduces the breakdown voltage of the SG.
Consequently, the output cannot reach the desired potential.
You need to build a forced-air cooled, copper tube electrode
spark gap or a rotary gap to properly dissipate the resultant heat
that the SG generates so that it can quench.

--
David Rieben