Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:10:39 -0800 (PST)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

>From your description it sounds like your spark gap is
heating up, then breaking into power arcing.  That's
why the coil works fine after a cool-off period.  This
allows the spark gap electrodes to cool off, restoring
proper operation--until it gets hot again!  I'm
roughly 80% sure I'm right about this one.

A power arc is fine for welding, but no good for
commutation of pulsed current.  I suggest you upgrade
your spark gap.

A vacuum-powered sucker gap is a simple, cheap
solution.  Visit my site or Gary Lau's site for a good
description of the static sucker gap.

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/vacgap.htm
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm

Greg