Re: [TCML] Fixing up an old coil -- tune-up suggestions

Hi Jason,

Your previous measurement of 393 kHz would indicate 14 gauge wire at about 510 turns. I used 16 gauge originally which allows for more turns resulting in a lower frequency. That changes the cap size required. You'll want about 7 bottles which will tune in likely in the last turn of your coil. The 14 gauge makes more sense with the original brine bottle caps as a smaller capacitance would have been needed.

I do have a bottle cap calculator which may be handy.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/bottlecap/bottlecap.html

Bottle cap capacitance changes with volume, area, solution, etc.. The example I show in the bottle cap calculator will show a capacitance very near the corona sized bottles.

Oh, as far as verifying the output current, yes I meant just to read the label.

Take care,
Bart