Re: [TCML] outer primary turns arcing ?

In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:01:43 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  all,

With my primary coil (about 20 turns) I tap in at about 7 turns,  though I
recall when I first built my super primary when the coil was  running the
very end of the primary arced to the next inner turn. After  bending the last
few inches of the tube out a fraction it solved the  problem. Though why
would the outer turns have so much voltage when only  the first few turns of
the primary were actually connected in circuit  ?

cheers,
Chris

Chris,

The unused turns act like an auto-transformer.
So the voltage can build up (in your case) to about 3 times the  actual
tank voltage.

John