Re: [TCML] Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/20/2007 9:49:30 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Less  current must mean more cycles to transfer the energy which must mean a
longer spark gap conduction time. A longer time must be more losses... I  do
not see how less current over the gap will work unless you treat the  gap as
a 10R resistance or something of that nature. On that basis more  current
will make the problem worse.. from 100A to 10,000amps there would  be no gain
on that basis... If a Larger tank cap can pulse more current,  then this is
just making the problem worse if the spark gap is a  resistor.

Chris,

It's been awhile since I worked on this issue.  If you increase  your primary
inductance
such that the current is cut in half, the frequency will decrease, but only
by the
square root relationship that exists between inductance and  frequency.  So
the
gap will be firing longer, but not twice as long.  It will only fire  about
1.41 times
longer.  So overall, the gap losses will be lower.  I mis-spoke  before, the
primary
resistance is not too critical because the gap losses tend to be much  higher
than the primary wiring losses.

By the way, how much longer do you expect your sparks to be using  your
method of high currents and a high break rate with high frequency  operation?

John