Re: [TCML] Re: Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/20/2007 5:38:19 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>On  that basis, more cycles in the tank side could be better ?. I am
thinking
>that the energy is ramped up slowly on the secondary so it can build  up to
>larger value..... rather than pumping power faster and having  it break out
>quicker.... Maybe or maybe not true  ?

>Chris

Chris,

I think there is evidence that a faster ramp up is better.  DRSSTC's  with a
too-slow ramp up of power don't do as well I seem to recall.  In any  case
the breakout voltage is controlled mostly by the toroid size.
I don't think the matter of how many cycles is that important, rather
it's the amount of energy that's transferred.  It's possible to use a  lot
of cycles and transfer little energy.  It's also possible to use only
a few cycles and transfer a lot of energy.

I remember when Ken Herrick was testing his solid state TC which he
called an entertainment machine.  It used a slow build up of  energy
and lost "efficiency" as a result.  I remember too there was some
interesting field charging effects during the charging in the  vicinity
of the toroid.  I forget the exact details however, but I remember  that
I considered them to be of considerable interest and importance.
The conclusion however was that energy should be delivered rather
quickly to the secondary and toroid.

John