Re: [TCML] RSG disks - who can make them ?

In a message dated 11/21/2007 3:04:56 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Most  folks have never scoped their
> quenching waveforms !!!!!

I have  never done this. Though I dare not run any equipment near my coil, I
have  fried a lot of electronics around the house some meters away form the
coil  even at a few meters range (500W coil)...

In anycase, It would be  something I would really like to measure also! See
what is going on in the  real world. I am not sure how to go about it though
so any clues are most  welcome.

Chris,

The best way is by using an RF current transformer connected to a  storage
scope.
This is to look at the primary tank currents.  Many folks have  done this.
Terry F.
probably has some stuff written up about it.  Some folks have also  used an
antenna at a distance from the coil to pick up the RF and look at it on  the
scope, but sometimes it's hard to get a clean signal of the primary.   Instead
the secondary and primary signal may be seen overlapped which makes  the
display look confused on the scope.  Using a sync rotary, the waveform  can
be seen without a storage scope.  Using async gaps, it's hard to see  anything
clearly without a storage scope because the signal can't be synch'ed  easily.
The modern digital scopes can easily deal with these signals and  issue.

John