[TCML] Re:One factor at a time? was: RSG disks - who can make them ?

Ed Phillips wrote:
   You cannot test anything at all if you alter more than 1 aspect at
time!
   This statement is worth a comment.  Not many engineers I know have
learned that but it's very very important if you want to learn
anything from an experiment.  One experiment with two variables is
close to useless.
Ed

Hi Ed,

of course, I agree, especially if evaluating _known_ variables in their possibly nonlinear behavior, ...but not quite full hearted ;-)

During my jobtime, I had sometimes to do with the design and analysis of experiments for the chemical industry. Sometimes quite a number of variables(5..to 10?) were candidates for a response-function, and it was not known, which ones were significant...and which one might interact with one another. In those situations multivariate statistical analysis, with the goal of reducing the experimental work/cost is attained by variing different variables _simulaneously_, following statistically founded experimental design plans for the different levels of detail. Interpretation models at those levels are predominately simple linear or second order relationships. But, if the levels of the variables are choosen by good common sense, results can be convincing.

Literature: Design and Analysis of Industrial Experiments
           Owen L. Davies, Publ. by Oliver & Boyd, London, 1967

In electricity we are much more used to strong physics-law relationsships, than in chemical engineering. But a TC, despite it's few elements, presents a not quite easy to understand multivariable system, as i.e. is shown by the current thread of Ch.Swinson/J.Freau/B.Anderson. Part of it might be solved by the, hopefully not forgotten, Terry program:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/scantesla/scantesla762.zip

...which tries to exhaust a wide variable space, by applying the known physics laws.

Best regards

Kurt