Re: [TCML] quench times again

John,

Chris,

The energy transfer rate from primary to secondary is affected only by the
coupling, assuming a set frequency.  If the  coil quenches at 1st notch
versus 3rd notch, this does *not* affect the transfer rate.   The
particular notch of quenching only affects the *number* of transfers,  not
the rate of transfer.  This is what Bart was explaining.  So  a fast
draining of energy from the secondary (through a ground strike  for
example) will affect which notch the gap quenches at, but not the  primary
to secondary transfer rate.

What an early ground strike (or a lower streamer impedance) does,  is
to *prevent* more than one transfer.  If there is more than one  transfer,
(for example 2nd notch quench), it obviously takes time for these  extra
transfers to occur.  This extra time is what makes the quenching  occur
later.  The late quenching is not due to a slower rate of  transfer.

Let's go back to the car analogy.  Suppose you have a car which  can
only travel at 100 miles per hour (no faster, no slower).  You drive  from
London to Dover and let's say it takes 1 hour.  Your rate of  travel
(transfer)
is 100 miles per hour (MPH).  But let's say you make the trip to  Dover,
then turn around and go back to London, then go back to Dover  again.
That's going to take 3 hours of total travel time (2nd notch  quench).
So the car was traveling 3 times longer (gap was firing 3 times  longer).
But the car always traveled at 100 MPH.  It never went faster or  slower.
The rate of motion of the car (rate of transfer) didn't change.

John

I think in terms of freqeuncy though which I think the mix up is, whereas Bart pointed out it is mutual induction which is the casue for a faster speed. Though frequency still seems to change anyway. I suppose it is how you look at is as both are interlinked... I have some confusion over what bart said as physical coil size alters nothing..

In short the way I see it If mutual inductance is the key to it all, then as mutual inductance goes down, transfer speed will go up, but as a by product frequency will go up also... I was looking from the reverse that as frequency goes up mutual inductance goes down and you get a faster rate...

It sounds to me like MPH is the mutual inductance term, not exactly the frequency ? Though both factors alter in respect to eachother anyway.....

Chris